Sunday 16 November 2014

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

Synopsis:
Out here in the Fringes, there is only one rule: Blood calls to blood.
She has done the unthinkable: died so she might continue to live.
Now Allie, the reluctant teenage vampire who was cast out of Eden, and Zeke, the human boy who loves her, must attempt to save the world from a deadly new strain of plague. In order to do so, they must first hunt down the monster who holds the promise of the cure and Allie s beloved mentor in his sadistic grip....
Joined by Allie's blood brother, Jackal, this unlikely posse of companions will brave a landscape stalked by raiders, rabids, and rogue vampires. But even if they survive, they re bound for the Inner city, and a vicious showdown that will test their bonds in ways they never expected.
It may just be that becoming undead was the easy part. Confronting the horrors of Allie's awakening hunger, her growing feelings for Zeke, and the uncertainties of their future is going to be the ultimate challenge.


Rating: 3.5 stars

Review: Okay. So Book 1 of the Blood of Eden trilogy left me a little disappointed but the ending definitely saved it for me. Book 2 - was so much better. It still started a little slow for me but there was a lot more action throughout the book.

I liked that we got to see a little more of Jackal, Allie's blood brother. He's a really interesting character and reminds me a little of Peter in Divergent, he's in it for himself and, if he's not on the winning team, he'll leave. This provided a great source of conflict for the group and helped keep the book moving as you're never truly sure about Jackal's motives.

Allie finally came through! She turned into someone who I can start to relate to a little more. I mean, she's still not on the same level as Meghan is for me (review definitely coming guys, promise!) but she's getting there. She seems a lot more sure of who she is in this book. She's not so hung up on her choice to become a vampire. The topic does still come up and she still thinks about it, but not as much as Book 1 which really helped me get to know her a little more.

Zeke. Oh Zeke. I do love you. Again, not as much as Ash but, you're still lovable. I'm glad that Allie found Zeke again in this book - their goodbye seriously almost broke my heart - and I'm glad that Zeke fought for Allie. He seemed a little...I don't know...not weak but afraid maybe in Book 1? He really came into his own in this book and stood up for himself a lot more.

And now we come to Stick, or Mr Stephen as he's now known. I was a little unsure of this character in Book 1 and I'm still unsure now. I knew Stick would come back in this book, I feel like it was an obvious plot point, but I love how Julie takes what should be an obvious plot point and makes it into something so completely un-ordinary. Stick is now chief advisor to the Prince in New Covington and is acting all high and mighty about himself. I really didn't like him. Not just in a 'you've turned on your best friend and sold her out' kind of dislike (although that was there) but in a 'I don't truly buy that you'd change this much' kind of dislike. Because I didn't. I can totally buy that Stick would turn to the Prince - I get that. I don't understand why he'd completely turn on Allie after everything. I'd like to think that if I was in that situation and I knew my best friend was a vampire but HADN'T eaten me yet, I'd hear them out. Maybe it's just me on this one but Stick for me was a really awful character and I couldn't really buy into any of his actions.

Overall, this book was waaayyy better than the first one but again it did take a little while to get into the book, despite picking it up straight after finishing Book 1 and that brought the rating down for me.

No copyright intended - image from http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Eternity-Cure-Blood-Eden/dp/1848451857 

No comments:

Post a Comment