Tuesday 14 April 2015

Top 10 Tuesday




Week 2 of Top 10 Tuesday courtesy of The Broke and the Bookish and this week the list is Top 10 Inspiring Quotes from Books (anything that inspires you, challenges you, makes you think, encourages you, etc.). So, in no particular order, here's my top 5 (because I'm currently on a tablet and formatting sucks so I'll update when I get a proper computer)...

  1. '"Yeah, sometimes life really sucks," she says. "But do you know what I'm holding on for?" I raise my eyebrows. She raises hers, too, mimicking me. "The moments that don't suck," she says. "The trick is to notice them when they come around." Then she smiles, and I smile back, and we climb the stairs to the train platform side by side.' ~ Allegiant by Veronica Roth Despite Allegiant being my least favourite of all the Divergent trilogy, this section really stood out to me. In the last few pages of the book, I felt like this was actually a really good message to leave readers with - something that we can use in our own lives. So while I said this list was in no particular order, I think that starts now because this is definitely my favourite quote of them all.
  2. '"It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart."' ~ Mockingjay by Susanne Collins I love Finnick - there needs to be more Finnick in the books (and he totally should have stayed with Annie). I think dystopian novels in general are great at giving messages and I think this, while so simple and just a short moment in Mockingjay, is really powerful, because again it's relatable to our lives, not just the characters. A sound piece of advice from a character who knows what he's talking about.
  3. '"We have to be back in three hours," Ronan said. "I just fed Chainsaw but she'll need it again."
    "This," Gansey replied "is precisely why I didn't want to have a baby with you."'
    ~ The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater What I love about this series is, not only is the premise something totally original to me but the characters are so complex and well thought out. This series makes me wish I had a group of friends just like this - who have known each other for years and you just have so many hilarious moments with them. This quote to me, reflects that. Gansey and Ronan are really close friends and you can tell there's some kind of history between them just from that quote. I'm thinking I need the final book even more now...
  4. '"And what have you decided?"
    "My soul." I felt a great weight lift off my shoulders as I said this. No more doubts. No more agonizing. I knew my path, what I had to do. "I choose humanity and all that comes with it. Weakness, conscious, mortality, everything."'
    ~ The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa I'm starting to think you can start a drinking game with this - every time I mention the Iron Fey or the Lux series, take a shot! Seriously though, The Iron Knight covers so many things with the main issue being how is humanity defined. What makes us human? This quote essentially summarises that question for me. It made me think more carefully about what it means to be human. Now we've covered The Iron Fey, I suppose it would be rude not to include the other series I'm in love with wouldn't it...
  5. '"More books." His eyes went wide. "You have, like, ten books you just said you haven't read."
    "Doesn't mean I won't get more books." I smiled at his incredulous expression. "I haven't been able to read a lot lately, but I will, and then I won't be out of anything new to read."'
    ~ Onyx by Jennifer L Armentrout Maybe it's just the relevance to my life but I love this quote so much and I guess it encourages me that having a HUGE TBR list is perfectly normal. Plus, like I said, Katy + Daemon = perfection. I need more of these books in my life. Please?

    So this is my (current) top 10, which will more than likely be updated sooner or later. What would your top 10 look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment