Tuesday 30 August 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

So this week is a Back to School freebie, and, in celebration of me starting my first year of teacher training (eek!) these are going to be the top ten books (or series) that I would have on my shelf as a teacher.

  1. The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa - okay, despite the fact this is still one of my all time favourite series, I feel like this is still a 'child-friendly' series for children to read, mixed with magic and adventure.
  2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - this book would be amazing to use during writing lessons to teach children about description and using their imagination.
  3. The Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling - I feel like it would be my duty to impart the magic and wisdom of this series onto the next generation. At least get them started with the series with the first couple of books anyway, and with the illustrated editions of the novels coming out, I think they would be great in a classroom.
  4. Anything by David Walliams - for those of you who don't know David Walliams is a British comedian who also writes children books. Hilariously absurd, I feel like these would be 'easy reads' for those children who don't like to read.
  5. The Horrid Henry series by Francesca Simon - younger readers love these books - they find Henry's pranks and schemes hilarious so are always good to have on standby if you're teaching a younger audience.
  6. Roald Dahl's books - his children's books have spanned so many generations, it seems wrong to not include them in this list because children and adults alike love this man's genius creations and would also be amazing teaching resources.
  7. Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan - while I haven't read these books myself, I know that were originally marketed as a children's book and I think keeping these in the classroom would be a good thing.
  8. The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton - this is a book that I adored when I was little and, if I was teaching young children, it would definitely have a place in my classroom, if only for nostalgia's sake!
  9. Jacqueline Wilson books - these books were the staple of my childhood and, while she does predominantly write for children, her Girls Out Late book is perfect for teens. They deal with a variety of issues affecting children in a way that they can understand and I still love them, even now.
  10. Cherub series by Robert Muchamore - kids become spies in this amazing series. These are quite gritty and deal with 'spy' stuff such as drugs so not a good idea for young readers, but teens will adore this series - I know I did!
So those are the top ten books I would have in my classroom as a teacher (depending on the age range I was teaching)! What would make your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment